Thursday 3 March 2016

My last day

Well, it has been an incredibly interesting time during my internship at the Alexander Turnbull Library. I have enjoyed my work there so much - it is a lovely place to work.

I am so impressed with the way the library is run - if you think about the sheer size and scale of items coming into the library to be catalogued, restored, archived, and photographed, it really is mind-boggling.

Just to give you a feel for the size of a place like the Alexander Turnbull Library, I have included this diagram, which is by no means an exhaustive list.

On my last day I definately felt sad to be leaving - I think I really enjoyed the kind of work I was doing there, and could see how it would be a very interesting and satisfying role. There is however, a possibility that an exhibition may come about over the next two years of the Bookplate Collection, which would be a fantastic opportunity.

I finished the day with a tour around the photographic areas of the archive, namely Collection Care; a look at photographs, negatives, and glass plate storage, and also was able to look at some beautiful examples of Tintypes, Daguerrotypes, and even an Opaltype.

The staff have been so generous showing me around, and discussing different areas of the Library with me. I'd especially like to thank Barbara Lyon, for taking me under her wing, and offering to take on an intern; Rachel Esson, for making my internship possible; and Ruth Oliver for her time in the photography department.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My last day

Well, it has been an incredibly interesting time during my internship at the Alexander Turnbull Library. I have enjoyed my work there so muc...